Board Benchmarking in partnership with Insync, gives access to affordable, validated, world-class, benchmarked director and board effectiveness surveys. Get in touch with our friendly team to learn how to take your board can go from good to great.
Client success story
In 2020, Vision Super completed Insync and Board Benchmarking’s new Board Effectiveness Survey which showed it had been highly successful in taking their board from being benchmarked just above the average of peer financial services boards to becoming one of the most high-performing in the database.
Vision Super’s Chair, Geoff Lake, sat down with our team to discuss the six steps their board took to help them “move the dial” and how other boards can become high-performing through deliberate intent.
The SIX steps to become a high-performing board
Vision Super followed six steps that drastically changed their board effectiveness from average to high performing. We recommend all boards take these same steps to help them improve the performance and effectiveness of their board and of their individual directors.
- Get a good measure and a deep understanding of your current performance and effectiveness and the main areas for improvement
- Board unity and sustained commitment to the agreed action plan
- Chair to demonstrate leadership and vulnerability during the change process
- Focus on individual director improvement as well as board improvement
- Regular check-ins to measure the impact of the agreed actions and adapt
- Never cease the journey of improvement – it’s a journey, not a destination
“It was helpful to be able to see and reflect on the common themes that were provided independently by directors and executives without them being influenced by anyone else’s response. Insync’s recommendations in relation to each theme also helped provide a good roadmap for improvement.”
Nicholas has been a director, business leader and consultant for over 35 years. He is executive chairman of Insync and Board Benchmarking, a former partner of KPMG and a former chairman of Ansvar Insurance, First Samuel and Ambit Group.
Nicholas is passionate about helping boards improve their performance and effectiveness because Better Boards means Better Organisations. He has done in excess of 150 board reviews and is leading the expansion of Board Benchmarking’s global online benchmarked board effectiveness survey business.