An exit interview is a survey conducted with an employee who is leaving an organisation. The interview may be conducted by a person from within the organisation or ...
Why conduct exit interviews
HR departments use exit interviews to prevent high-performing and skilled staff from leaving. Understanding why employees leave also helps HR discover what can be done to maintain employee engagement across the board and helps to reduce the costs linked to unwanted employee attrition and productivity delays.
By having a third party, such as Insync Surveys, conduct exit interviews over the phone or via a secure online survey, the departing employee is more open to providing honest feedback. Exit interviews on the phone can enhance the depth of responses as the exit interviewer asks for further information. The other benefits of using an external provider include: confidence in decision making as HR know they’ve asked the right questions; and reduced internal HR administration and number crunching as Insync Surveys takes care of data collection and reports are automatically generated in the secure online portal.
Combining an online Exit Survey with exit interviews captures both quantitative and qualitative data to provide a comprehensive picture of departing employees’ perspectives across your organisation. Insync Surveys offers an exit survey benchmarked chart to compare your organisation’s exit survey results against those from other organisations. This allows you to interpret attrition drivers against the wider marketplace.
Sample exit interview questions
- Can you suggest ways to improve leadership effectiveness at your organisation?
- Do you have any improvement suggestions that would have made your role easier to perform?
- Are there any practices or working conditions which were particularly positive or negative?
- How would you describe the culture of your work area?
- How would you describe the culture overall?
- How can your organisation improve to create a more inspiring workplace?
- In your opinion, what are the two biggest current or future challenges for the organisation?
- What are your reasons for leaving your organisation?
- Under what conditions might you have stayed?(optional, depends on response to reason for leaving)
- Is there anything else you would like to add before we finish?