Talk to our expert team today about building and restoring trust in your organisation.
The third report in our Trust research series.
The latest research by Insync and Entente reveals Australian employers don’t have the full trust of their staff:
- Only 38% employees believe their organisation tells the whole truth, with a massive 22% disagreeing with this statement
- Larger organisations are less trusted than those with less than 500 employees. Small businesses with 6-19 employees are the most trusted
- Employees between 35 and 64 are much less trusting than those who are younger than 35 and older than 64. Also, males are less trusting of their employer than females
- There is a significant variation in trust between industries. Public administration employers have an ENP® Trust Index of 0 whereas construction industry employers have a Trust Index of +40
- The lower the living standard of employees, the lower their trust in their employer
What this means for organisations and their leaders
Australian employees are experiencing a significant lack of trust and frustration with their employer, with more than 20% saying they don’t believe their employer tells the whole truth.
As the world of work is changing rapidly for many industries, knowing how to build and maintain the trust of your people is even more critical now than ever. Why? Because employees go above and beyond for their employer when trust is high.
Measuring the correlation between the internal perspective of employees and the external view of customers and other stakeholders is an invaluable ‘finger on the pulse’ for trust.
But rebuilding trust is not a ‘project’ and it is certainly not a fad. Rebuilding trust must start on the inside. It must be derived from your organisation’s purpose and become part of who you are and what you stand for as an organisation.
3 ways leaders can build employee trust
During our research we conducted a regression analysis to determine the biggest drivers of trust, or put another way, which survey items explained the greatest variability in the Trust Index.
The 3 biggest drivers of trust are:
- tell the whole truth
- set realistic expectations
- deliver on your promises
Insync has partnered with Vanessa Hall and her organisation, Entente Pty Ltd, to help organisations build and restore trust and track its movement over time.
After more than a decade of studying, observing and testing how trust is formed, and the causes of its collapse in all relationships and interactions, Vanessa Hall has deployed her proven ENP Trust Framework around the world.
About the research
This is the third report in our Trust Series and looks at levels of trust in Australian employers.
The research is based on data collected online from 5,000 respondents between February and March 2020.
Download the research report below.