Talk to our expert Employee Experience team today about how 360-degree feedback can help.
Why is leadership development important?
Leadership development is vital for organisations striving to create a sustainable culture of growth. Effective team leaders are not only proficient in their roles but also equipped to inspire, guide, and innovate. They drive engagement, boost productivity, and foster open communication. By investing in leadership development, organisations ensure a pipeline of skilled leaders who can adapt to change, harness the potential of their teams, and steer the company toward success.
Leadership development in the workplace
In today’s dynamic workplace, leadership isn’t just about authority; it’s about influence. Leadership development programs facilitate the acquisition of skills that transcend traditional hierarchical roles. Whether you’re a mid-level manager or an aspiring team lead, leadership development equips you with the tools to communicate persuasively, manage conflicts, and make informed decisions.
The 5 steps of leadership development
- Self-assessment: Understanding your strengths and areas for improvement lays the foundation for growth
- Skill enhancement: Developing critical skills like effective communication and decision-making is imperative
- Feedback integration: Embracing leadership feedback is key to continuous improvement and better team collaboration
- Learning from coaches: Leadership coaches provide personalised guidance and insights for professional development
- Leadership surveys: Gathering feedback from team members helps leaders understand their impact and make meaningful adjustments
To supercharge your leadership journey, explore the benefits of Insync’s 360-degree feedback survey tool.
The 5 core skills of a leader
Insync’s research – based on over 50,000 employee responses from more than 220 studies – has uncovered the five traits of high-performing team leaders. Looking at the top-performing 25% of organisations in our benchmark database, five clear team leadership themes relate to high performance.
- Provide direction: An effective team leader establishes clear, overarching goals for the team. They actively support the organisation’s direction and strategy and connect the team’s goals to this broader picture
- Build good personal connections: Effective team leaders authentically build and maintain strong personal connections with team members. They understand – and are considerate of – individual needs and preferences. They communicate effectively and display appropriate organisational behaviours
- Support development: Effective team leaders support continued growth and learning for the individuals and the team. They set challenging goals for team members to utilise their skills and abilities and provide regular and constructive feedback
- Manage team dynamics: Effective team leaders foster an environment that focuses on collaboration, shared understanding and support. They bring the team together and encourage open and transparent discussion. They demonstrate and support a strong customer service culture
- Ensure execution: Effective team leaders set clear expectations for performance. They encourage autonomy among team members to achieve the required results. They regularly report on performance targets and celebrate individual and team achievements
For further information, including best practice suggestions to improve on the above core skills, plus a self-assessment guide for leaders to measure their effectiveness, recognise their strengths and aim to become better leaders, click here.
Ready to take your leadership skills to the next level? Explore Insync’s 360-degree feedback program, a comprehensive solution designed to support your leadership development journey.